MAEA Corrections Education Committee November 7, 2016
Attending: Kelley Heath, Steve Pyles, Arlene Jacques, Nathan Knight, Ellis King, Marcia Cook, Sue Knight
- Kelley: In September presented MaineStars to DOC Education Coordinators. Happy to be a part of committee supporting involvement in/compliance with WIOA. Megan Dichter (DOE WorkReady coordinator) is currently working via distance.
- Arlene: Feels CCJ is disconnected from other Adult Eds but programming continues. Interested in working with WIOA more.
- Steve: From CCJ, new. Would appreciate a contact list for other CE folks.
- Nate: From PCJ, working with a small inmate population. Has worked with 2 who completed 26 credits through Adams State University. Building computer access for inmates.
- Marcia: Director of Monmouth-Winthrop AE. Not currently associated with any facility.
- Ellis: From DOC, changing mandated CASAS exam but working to verify any educational credentials earned. Data is lacking in determining efficacy of vocational training related to actual employment. All facilities are planning to offer WorkReady. The new women’s Reentry Building should be ready to open after the first of the year; thus closing the facility in Alfred.
- Sue: Working as AE coordinator in Franklin and Somerset County Jails. Computer lab is working, usually supporting CASAS testing, HiSET prep, Accuplacer and hopefully, in January another KVCC course (PSY 101).
Reviewing Some Future Goals:
- Hall of Flags scheduled for March 16. Kelley will acquire/build a practical sized tri-fold display. We should consider gathering photos/data/?? Focus on possible theme: “Partnering in Re-entry…Adult Ed and Correctional Facilities”. We would like to have a map or two locating facilities and AE programs.
- Membership for interested DOC teachers/coordinators. As of 11/8/16 Marcia emailed Sue that membership dues and portal fees are billed in the spring.
- MAEA conference is at USM Portland campus June 21, 22 2016. Some discussion about what we might offer for a session. As of 11/7/16, Lorraine Robida, conference chair, is asking if we would be interested in doing a “strand”, day-long, 4 sessions on Day 2 of the conference. I will forward this email to the committee.
- Contact list lives on a website https://mainecorrectionseducation.wordpress.com/ Sue has been given directions to update the list and the site and will work on getting that done. Our minutes can be posted here.
- Communication between facilities and partners is a priority. Sharing data and information benefits inmates and programs.
- Next meeting: December 12, 2pm. Room 500 Cross Building. Feel free to invite others.